- VS SPS 2003 should be exactly patched as production one.
- Same SQL database server can be used, but if database server is different - it should be patched as production one.
- Backup production SPS 2003
- Restore backuped databases to a SQL server under different name - if you will use same SQL server for the process.
- On VS SPS 2003 install post sp2 hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/?id=897722 to get databaserepair option for stsadm.
- Run stsadm -o databserepair on all virtual servers content databases, command line will be like "stsam -o databaserepair -url http://sps.company.com -databasename sps_site". http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918744 . In my cases I did not have any orphane objects, I beliave if you do - you need to fix the database.
- Do not use full-text index on any database, if an index exists - delete the index file and disable the indexing on the database (database properties - files option).
- Run prescan.exe tool from MOSS2007 installation CD, run as: "prescan.exe /all" any other option so far gave me an error like something wrong with uri.
- Fix any error, if you run prescan - failed, but if you will run MOSS2007 installation without fixing errors it can give you more specific error log.
- After main upgrade finished you need to check sharepoint timer service - it should be running, and if you have WSS V2 sites very possble you will need to run "psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force" from "\...\12\bin" to finish provisioning SSP(s)