It is from the blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/clustering/archive/2006/09/18/How-to-change-your-Volume-License-_2800_VL_2900_-key-with-Windows-Server-2003-or-R2.aspx
How to change your Volume License (VL) key with Windows Server 2003 or R2
Recently I wanted to install R2 on a Volume License copy of Windows Server 2003. When I tried our R2 key the system denied that the key was valid and would not install. Darn it, what key did they use to install? How can I tell? Q article 889713 gave me the clue (though this is not for R2, I will explain in a minute) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889713/en-us
To find your current PID:
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. On the General tab, the PID appears in the Registered to box.
Standard Edition 32 bit retail
Standard Edition 32 bit volume licensing
Standard Edition R2, 32 bit volume licensing
Standard Edition 32 bit OEM
Enterprise Edition 32 bit retail
Enterprise Edition 32 bit volume licensing
Enterprise Edition R2, 32 bit volume licensing
Enterprise Edition 32 bit OEM
Now that you know what you currently have, let’s change it to the correct VL Key. Q article 328874 explains how to do it for XP, but the same holds true for any version of 2003 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874
To change you’re current PID:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents.
4. In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
5. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows. This is key, modify the first one to AA, make sure you know what it was originally – you will need it in for step 12. Leave regedit open.
6. Click Start, and then click Run.
7. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK. %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
8. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.
9. Click Change Product key.
10. Type the new product key (I would use the new R2 key) in the New key boxes, and then click Update. When you get to the previous window, close product activation.
11. Return to regedit. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents. If not currently open.
12. Change the first digits back to what you noted in step 5.
13. Close regedit.
14. Click Start, and then click Run.
15. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK. %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
16. This time it should say you are already activated, click OK.
You can now install R2 without having to type in a new key and it will work nicely.
re: How to change OEM/Retail version key with Windows Server 2003 or R2
Forget that script and regedit stuff for retail and OEM. Simply search system32 for wpa.* rename both files, then run the %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
Bam, you're done.
I just did it 20 minutes ago.
Server 2003 or R2
For OEM and Retail, just search for wpa.* and rename these files.
Then run %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a to change your product key and yes it works,
I just did it 30 minutes ago to change my msdn-provided key to a customer purchased (retail) key. No, the software I wrote was not in production until this key was changed :)
I couldn't get this to work with 2003 SP2. It worked fine on a 2003 SP1 machine.
Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:51 AM by pji
Does anyone know how to tell what SBS 2003 key version your have? (IE. retail or volume)?
Friday, May 11, 2007 3:38 PM by sbs
Sorry I installed WINDOWS 2003 Ent. R2 on server two node cluster.
When i Installed i used a cd ( I don't rembere if MSD or other cd - retail or OEM), because i HAVE Volume Licence Key on paper but not original CD with this license Key.
I make this installation and only now I have original CD for these license Key. Now i want to activate product, but prod ID was not accepted e the change product key was not accepted.So i don't want reinstalling cluster, Active directory, DHCP, DNS, WINS ecc.Can i change produc key or activate the actual product key, without problem at start up??